And the bush has friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him, In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wonderous glory of the everlasting stars.

Banjo Paterson (1889)

Monday, March 26, 2012

Backyard Galahs

A short fauna survey up near Onslow is on the cards for this week, so my wife and I decided to have a nice glass of wine and enjoy the warm autumnal afternoon in the backyard before I leave. As usual I was getting my camera gear ready before the trip, this time outside, when our friendly galahs turned up early for a drink from the birdbath. I couldn't resist taking a few shots in the fading light.




We have three birdbaths in our bush garden, but the 12 or so Galahs that visit, always prefer the blue ceramic birdbath. Maybe it's the easier to grab the rim? 



Usually they only stay about ten seconds, just long enough to get a good drink.
For wild birds they are quite freindly and will let you sit within ten feet of them!



A Red Wattlebird looks indignant when the big and noisy Galahs turn up. Most of the time he's busy chasing away the smaller honeyeaters, such as New Hollands and Browns, from nectar rich Grevillias in the garden.



Four Galahs at a time are the limit for this birdbath, so three is quite comfortable. I have seen more trying to land at times, only to end up knocking the others off into the bushes.



My wife and I always get excited when we see these wild beautiful birds in our garden and think how lucky we are to have them visit.




4 comments:

fnkykntr said...

lovely pics of the galahs, such cheeky friendly little faces. I wish we could get them to come to our bird feeder, maybe it is the wrong shape - will look out for something like yours!

Mr. Smiley said...

One of the wonderful birds that we, unfortunately, do bit have in the rainforest.

Choy Wai Mun said...

These images brings back fond memories of my last trip to Australia. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful shots by the way.

Richard King said...

Thanks guys. Hopefully these cheeky Australian birds will keep visiting us.