And the bush has friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him, In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wonderous glory of the everlasting stars.

Banjo Paterson (1889)

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Northern Pintail at Erskine Lakes

Today my wife and I travelled down to Erskine in Mandurah early in the morning to see the reported Northern Pintail there, a rare vagrant to southern Western Australia. Amazingly there was one here last year, could it be the same one? We missed out on seeing that one last year.

It didn't take long to find the pintail in the smaller of the 2 lakes at Erskine, a brownish female that looked different straight away from all the local ducks, well except maybe a pale Black Duck that had been fooling birders in the area. She was very flighty and would fly between the two lakes almost as soon as she saw you coming towards the water's edge! It was almost too easy for us to get this bird tick, which brings my Australian bird total to 544 (519 for Liz).

I did get this video, but I had to shoot it from long range with my small HV40, so the quality for that distance isn't that great, but it's still a record of it. I've just returned from Cue in the Murchison area where my big Canon XH A1 stopped working. I sure hope it can be fixed!




2 comments:

Dave Wenning said...

Well, I am sure she is a tourist from the Pacific Northwest US. We all love to visit Australia!

Stuart Price said...

LOL, a female Pintail, we have thousands here, can we swap a few for some of your wonderful parrots or lorikeets?