And the bush has friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him, In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wonderous glory of the everlasting stars.

Banjo Paterson (1889)

Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Quacking Frogs of Winter

Well, summer is here in Perth with temperatures reaching 37 and higher ones expected soon. Most of the creeks near our home have dried up and only the large ones with granite outcrops have pools of water in them. The Quacking Frogs (Crinia georgiana) of winter have gone quiet, with only the local tree frogs calling from the better-watered gardens in the street.

Here is a video I took of Quacking Frogs a few months ago when the streams were flowing.





A little info about them. The Quacking Frog or also called Tschudi's Froglet, is a common frog found in creeks and swamps around Perth, Western Australia. The colour and pattern variations on individuals are incredible. The best way to identify these frogs is to look for the gold or red eyelids and red markings on the inner thighs, and the loud 'quack' call.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add that I enjoyed the gecko post and wondered if the fat tail would have confused a preditor that it looks like the head. I have always loved frogs since I was a kid. I've had a pet frog that my daughter left with me when she went to grad school...10 years ago... I am very concerned about amphibians...I participate in our local FrogWatch in the spring.. I live in NY state..