And the bush has friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him, In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wonderous glory of the everlasting stars.

Banjo Paterson (1889)

Friday, March 26, 2010

Perth Storms

Here's some pictures of the damage from the massive storm that hit Perth on Monday afternoon. The damage bill is at 200 million dollars and rising fast. Some areas of the Banksia woodland around Perth have had most of their leaves stripped off and bark smashed by huge chunks of hail.
























Lots of books lost as the university library is flooded.








There are cheap cars for sale at many dealerships now, but you may have to put up with your BMW or Audi looking a little like swiss cheese!

4 comments:

WilloW said...

Not good for the insurance companies. I had heard you guys had something fierce going on. IINet collasped for several hours! Pretty impressive rainfall and shotgun shell sized hail - must admit I've always liked watching severe weather. Thanks for posting

Richard King said...

Thanks Iain. I love a good storm myself, but I like watching it from the comfort of my home.

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures. Thank you for posting them up.

I heard about the 'Hail sales' that are taking place across Perth car dealerships and the reduced stamp duty for people who purchase these vehicles.

WA premier Colin Barnett says this was an extreme and freak event, but if scientists are right (and I'm trusting they are on this one) we can expect more and more of these kinds of events with climate change.
NASA climate scientist goes right into it in his latest book "Storms of my grandchildren".

Unknown said...

I forgot to say the NASA climate scientists name - James Hansen